Production Catalog: Sportscasts & Reality TV
Here’s a production catalog with music used across dozens of sports broadcasts including regional sports programming, NBA & NHL pregame shows, and cable reality TV series.
Historic royalty income is no indication of future royalty income. Future royalty income is dependent upon future sales and licensing revenue generated by the sound recordings or compositions associated with this listing.
|End Date:||Feb 28, 2018, 3:00 PM MST|
|Investment Term:||Life of author + 70 years|
|75% of Last 12 Months' Royalties:||$3,401|
|Royalty Type:||Public Performance|
|First Payment:||March 2018|
|Buyer Fees:||$500 BMI Payee Account Fee*|
*BMI charges a one-time fee of $500 to open a new payee account, which will be debited from the payee's first royalty distribution. Once opened, multiple royalty streams can be routed to the buyer's payee account. If you already have a BMI payee account, there is no fee.
Production music is a vital part of the TV and radio industry. In fact, the Production Music Association’s Joe Saba called it a “$1 billion global industry hidden in plain sight.” Right now, demand for this type of music is at an all-time high.
This auction features a collection of production music used in numerous sportscasts and reality TV series. Over the last four quarters, this catalog produced $3,401 in royalties.
The music included in the sale has a variety of sounds, ranging from heavy hip-hop to acoustic guitar to electronic dance and tracks with pop-like vocals. What’s interesting is the catalog seems to lend itself predominately to sportscast placements.
In the last 12 months, the largest income source (64%) for the catalog is the show Sportsnet Central, a regional sports headline show. The top-performing single musical cue in this collection is “Big Game” bringing in 45% of historic income. The song is used in dozens of sports broadcasts -- ranging from daily highlight reels to NBA, NHL and NCAA basketball pregame shows -- as well TV competitions Dancing With The Stars and American Idol.
Other placements to note are E!’s Keeping Up With The Kardashians, Access Hollywood, VH1’s Love and Hip Hop Atlanta, and Degrassi: Next Class.
As the winning bidder, you'll acquire 75% of the writer's share of the public performance royalties this catalog generates. The seller will retain the remaining 25% share. This means that they still hold a vested interest in the catalog and will continue to work the catalog for placements.
For example, the seller has licensing deals with both First Com Music and Atomica Music Library. First Com Music is online production music library source for licensing music and sound effects for broadcast, film, multimedia and corporate productions. Atomica Music Library provides license-ready music that’s specifically created and produced for commercials and TV programming. You can hear a sample tracks from the seller's catalog on both the First Com and Atomica Music websites -- take a look at the “Media” tab.
These companies have licensed music from this catalog to their production archives. Whenever production groups are creating an episode of a TV series or advertisement, they will solicit music from production music libraries (like First Com Music) to use. If music from this catalog is used in future series/shows, both you and the seller will earn royalties. Essentially, as the winner of this auction, you will benefit from these songs being part of large production house libraries.
What is being sold?
75% of the seller's interest in the songwriter's share of domestic (U.S.) public performance royalties attributable to the musical works in the seller's catalog of songs. See the “Financials” tab for a full tracklist.
How does this asset make money?
Every time a network airs a television show that uses any of the songs in this catalog, a public performance royalty is generated. This means every time Sportsnet Central or any other show, uses a music from this catalog and airs on TV, you will earn money. BMI makes payments quarterly and the first distribution you will receive is March 2018.
What rights are included?
|Musical Composition||Sound Recording|
|Royalty Sources:||Internet Streaming, AM/FM & Satellite Radio, TV/Film/Commercial Performances, etc.||Internet Streaming, Satellite Radio, Digital Downloads, CD Sales, TV/Film/Commercial Placements & Performances, Samples, etc.|
About the Royalty Distributor
BMI represents more than 10.5 million musical works created and owned by more than 700,000 songwriters, composers and music publishers. BMI supports businesses and organizations that play music publicly by offering blanket music licenses that permit them to play more than 10.5 million musical works.